emslovesbooks

Emily S

Reader, writer, teacher, librarian...

The Goldfinch
As You Turn Away
Molli Moran
Heir of Fire
Sarah J. Maas
Bumped  - Megan McCafferty I'll just be honest right up front and let you know that I didn't like this book. I didn't like it at all. The whole concept bothered me, but I could put that aside for a good dystopian read (hello, Hunger Games anyone?!). I just couldn't get past the commercialism of something so personal as a pregnancy.

I didn't like the idea of 'pregging for profit' or 'going pro' or all the talk of 'pro-boner' work. Gag. The language alone was enough to turn me off to the whole book. Seriously, one more preggy or neggy or boner joke and I'll scream.

It seriously freaks me out that Harmony pretty much dreams about sleeping with Jesus. Hello, CREEPY much!? And at the same time, I've known people like that, so I know it happens. Yes, it freaks me out, but it happens.

With that, I get what McCafferty is trying to do. She's making a point here, about how casual we could get about this. I don't for one second believe that she's promoting this kind of teenage promiscuity. Nope. It's a statement, in my opinion, that some things can indeed go too far. It bothers me that being a pregnant teenager is a huge status symbol, and yet look at our society now. People flock to the likes of reality shows about pregnant teens: '16 and Pregnant' or 'The Secret Life of the American Teenager'. Really, how much of a leap is Bumped? Not as much a one as I'd like.

And it's brilliantly done.

Yes, I can still say that, even though I didn't like it. See, it made me react in an emotional way. A book that I didn't care about wouldn't have this kind of response. In fact, it makes me so angry that I want to throw it against the wall or something. It's the same kind of reaction that I had with The Hunger Games. Seeing society degenerate to that point (or this point, as the case may be) really does something to my psyche.

So if you're going to read this, read it as a warning that no matter how advanced or how amazing society is, it can always get to this point.

This book makes me angry. And that's a good thing.