emslovesbooks

Emily S

Reader, writer, teacher, librarian...

The Goldfinch
As You Turn Away
Molli Moran
Heir of Fire
Sarah J. Maas
Delirium  - Lauren Oliver Now, before you get the wrong idea about my reaction to this book, let me explain: it made me SO angry. The idea that a society feels like it has the right to remove the part of your brain responsible for love is absolutely repugnant.

BUT.

Is it really such a far out idea that our world could get to that point? I kind of feel like the whole dystopia genre is meant as a big, fat warning to us of how far we *could* go. Not that we will, but we could. And honestly, with the way technology and science are progressing, is it out of reach to burn out parts of the brain that we find distasteful? They're already doing some selective gene sequencing in IVF procedures, so who's to say that burning out love isn't next?

Okay, rant over.

Now, let me tell you why it's a good thing that this book made me so angry.

It was SO incredibly well-written and an absolutely brilliant commentary on future societies. It was fast-paced, very consistent, and kept me riveted. I was cheering for Lena and Alex. I wanted them to defy everything and to have it all. Lest I leave you with spoilers, I'm going to stop there with that particular train of thought and just make you read the book.

I felt like Lena was one of the most realistic characters I've ever read. She kind of reminded me of Katniss Everdeen with regards to growth and development. That's one of the highest compliments I can bestow on any character because I think Katniss is one of the best ever written. Watching Lena go through her evolution was a privilege, really, and I was happy to be along for the ride.

This vision of the USA is absolutely terrifying and it sickens me to think that humanity could ever get to the point where we'd consider love a disease worth eradicating. But you never know. The way Oliver presents this is SO believable that it made me wonder when the regulators were going to come after me for the procedure (called 'the cure' in the book).

Let's all hope that it never comes to that.

In the meantime, this book made me SO angry. You should read it too and get angry so that something like this can never happen.