emslovesbooks

Emily S

Reader, writer, teacher, librarian...

The Goldfinch
As You Turn Away
Molli Moran
Heir of Fire
Sarah J. Maas
One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2) - Mara Purnhagen I didn't realize at first that this was the 2nd book in a series. I'd had it in my Netgalley queue for awhile, and when I went to mark it on Goodreads, I saw that it was book 2. I had to track down book 1, because wouldn't it be weird to read the 2nd book in a series first?!

Anyway, I digress.

I liked Past Midnight a lot, so I was really looking forward to what One Hundred Candles would offer. It didn't disappoint. I think I liked Past Midnight better, but this was still a great read. Quick, easy, and full of good stuff.

I already liked Charlotte a lot and I liked her continued development. She's a character that I can understand: trying to fit in during high school was complete torture, and I didn't have the added burden of being the child of famous paranormal investigators. Through it all, Charlotte stays true to herself and yet is still a teenager trying to find her way.

I liked how things unfolded in One Hundred Candles. Who knew that something as simple as a party game could lead where it did? I liked the suspense build up and I liked the resolution. Very well done.

I think this book was everything a summer read should be: fun, light, and engaging. Pick it up if you get a chance! I'm giving One Hundred Candles a 'Drool Worthy' rating.